Jose Carmelo Marquez
( March 19, 1957-?)
My father was born and raised in Jalisco, Mexico to Maria Luisa and Ignacio Marquez. He is the baby of fourteen siblings. My father has always been an over achiever. When he was young it was hard for him to go to school because there was no school in the town in which he lived in. Having that said, my father only went to school up until eight grade then dropped out because my grandma and grandma needed help back home. My father did not have a wealthy life style even though my grandparents owned a little market. When my father was young he was a DJ. When my father was a DJ, he use to get his equipment around on a wagon attached to a donkey because my grandparents could not afford to buy him a car.
My father always wanted to live the American dream but till this day he hasn’t been able too. When my father first came to the United States he came illegally to give my mother better life. Even though he came empty handed my dad has done everything possible to give me and my siblings a better life. When I was younger I remember my dad use to always tell me to always reach for the stars because if I didn’t then I would not achieve whatever it was that I wanted to do. He has always been there to catch us when we fall to get us back on our feet. I feel as if I owe my whole life to my father because I am who I am because of him.
My father was not the greatest father in the world but he was a good father in his own sort of way. When we were growing up my father was never really there but it wasn’t because he didn’t want to but because he was always working. I was born in Boyle Heights in a neighborhood where you always had to be on full alert because there was always trouble in the streets. I didn’t have a house I lived in a duplex with two bedrooms and we were seven people all together so obviously we didn’t fit. My parents couldn’t afford a bigger home because they didn’t have much money.
Since we didn’t have money to live in a safe neighborhood my father always kept us busy so we wouldn’t be running the streets. My sister joined the drill team, softball and volleyball team because my father inspired her to. My brothers both played baseball and soccer. As for myself he signed me up in gymnastics and soccer. My other sister was always a rebel and my dad couldn’t control her but he always stood by her side because he knew it was only a matter of time before she would get over it.
My father was a construction worker for a big company here in California. The name of the company is Signature Interiors Incorporation. My father worked the company for 18 years, but recently was laid-off due to lack of work. Since then we have been short in money. My father was recently diagnosed with cancer in the blood. He may also have cancer in the prostate, but there are still studies being done to certain the results. His whole life has changed but he still manages to make my life a dream. My dad is my hero and will always be.
Friday, October 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment